Internet CEO Moms

Internet CEO Moms
The lifeblood of how I keep it all together!

Inspiration Quote

Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing -- Phyllis Diller

Monday, January 17, 2011

Work LIfe Balance... Does it exist?

Family vs Work - Constant competition. Can there be a balance?



My boys always compete. “I’m going to “verse you” at Battleship. I can “verse you” at getting my snow pants on. I’ll admit that it did take me a while to comprehend their constant need for competition, but as I reflected on my life for the last 7 years (since my first son was born) it did make sense. I had been “versing” everyday.



I’ve always been a career mom. Never really thought of not working in a career. Since the birth of my 3rd boy, I’ve decided to bring the competition home, and have the career and family life both, simultaneously. This decision, although the BEST I’ve ever decided, has created a new issue. Balance. The following steps have helped me balance, my family, my work, my life.

1. Family always first… in moderation.

My family always comes first. My kids know that they are more important to me than anything. I have learned though, that it is OK to not be playing with them 100% of the time. It’s ok, if I’m working on my computer here and there while they are awake. It’s good for them to play with each other. If they need me, I am there.

2. Come up with a schedule… or not.

I do have a schedule of the events for the day. I have the family events, the business appointments. It is laid out for everyone to know. However, there is an accepted “grey” area. Sometimes I need to feed the baby when I have a business appointment. What do I do? I do it together. Working from home and raising my kids has become one entity, they don’t have to be mutually exclusive.



3. Incorporate my children.

When working at home, it’s important to incorporate your kids. For one reason, they love it! They want to be included in your life, to help you reach your goals and to reap in the rewards of them. The more you incorporate them in that part of your life, the more you will all work together to reach your goals. They will not only have fun doing it, but they will learn the importance of working together, of being part of something, and of being important in the family.



These are the ways I have learned to balance a career from home and my multi-boy household. Some days the competition is still there. Work vs. Family. However, if I continue to come back to the above points, we get there together. Each day is not perfect, but I wouldn’t change it at all.

3 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to say you've got it balanced right. Family should be at the top. Though I put God up there first, but family comes right after. Love this biz that allows us the freedom to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a smooth household there... most days right? I'm sure it's a challenge, but working from home makes it soooo much easier and less stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kim!
    I am right behind you in the business of boys! I have 2 of my own! I'm definitely trying to find that fine line of balance between family and work! Came to your blog through "blog-hopping" through other fellow Internet CEO Moms blogs! Feel free to follow me back! www.mysaferhome.blogspot.com Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete